A Topographical Dictionary of London — £ 5.99
The whole of London in 1831 - just before Railways transformed the layout of many areas and just before the first surviving census.
21 years after John Lockie's famous description, this is James Elmes' update.
A much bigger book than Lockie's, here is not just how to find every street and place in London, but also descriptions of all the institutions, organisations and buildings that existed, even the churches lost to the Great Fire of London and not re-built. With explanations of their function, history and officers. A fascinating collation of facts, historical asides and some biased aesthetic opinion.
This eBook version contains the entire text. Please read the notes and see the extract below.
If you do not have an eBook reader but need this book for your family or local history research there are several free programs (from Adobe, Amazon, Firefox, Google, Sony etc.) that you can use to read eBooks on your computer, iPad and most tablets. This is far from ideal for a novel, but works very well for searching a book like this.
To buy this book for your eBook reader
visit the shop
.mobi file ISBN 978-0-9927530-0-9
This book is unlike most of my other eBooks. Normally I make them look as much like the actual book as possible, here I have done the opposite. The original has very small print in two columns per page. It uses contemporary conventions such as hyphenating every place name and many italics. I have turned it into text, expanded most abbreviations and reformatted any inconsistent presentation. It is now easy to read and can be searched. If you have London ancestors or are looking at the history of an area you can use it to find places that no longer exist.
The text below is identical to the eBook; however, depending on the typeface, etc., that you select it may not display here exactly as it will on your eReader. Also, pages turn as normal, rather than the scrolling effect seen here.
A Topographical Dictionary of London
ABBEY PLACE, Bethnal Green Road, is the continuation of Mary's Row, at the north east corner of Wilmot Square, about three quarters of a mile from Shoreditch.
ABBEY PLACE, Tavistock Mews, Russell Square, is the first turning on the left hand in Little Coram Street, at No. 53, Great Coram Street
ABBEY PLACE, South Street, Lambeth, is at the corner of No. 11, in that street, and is nearly opposite the Three Stags, in the Westminster Bridge Road.
ABBEY PLACE, NORTH, Bethnal Green Road, is at the north end of the first mentioned.
ABBEY PLACE, SOUTH, Bethnal Green Road, is at the south end of the above mentioned.
ABBEY ROW, Bethnal Green Road, is a turning out of the above mentioned Abbey Place.
ABBEY STREET, Bethnal Green Road, is the first turning on the right, at No. 92, about half a mile from Shoreditch.
ABBEY STREET, Bermondsey, is a turning at No. 126, Bermondsey Street, Tooley Street, Southwark.
ABBEY CHURCH OF St. PETER, WESTMINSTER. — [see Westminster Abbey]
ABCHURCH COURT, in Abchurch Yard, Lombard Street.
ABCHURCH LANE, Lombard Street, leads from 67, Cannon Street, to the side of the Phoenix Fire Office, in Lombard Street, and is named from the adjacent church of St. Mary, Abchurch.
ABCHURCH YARD, Lombard Street, is the open space at the south end of St. Mary, Abchurch, in Abchurch Lane, aforesaid, near Cannon Street.
ABDY STREET, Horselydown, is a turning at No. 6, Broad Street, and a continuation of the east end of Tooley Street, leading to John Street, Horselydown.
ABEL'S BUILDINGS, Rosemary Lane, also called White's Buildings, is a turning at No. 94, and leads to Chamber Street, Goodman's Fields, named after its first ground landlord.
ABINGDON BUILDINGS, Westminster, is a turning between Nos. 16 and 17, Abingdon Street, at the east end of Old Palace Yard.
ABINGDON PLACE, Westminster, is three doors on the left from Old Palace Yard.
ABINGDON PLACE, Goswell Street Road, is a turning on the east side of Abingdon Row, it the south end of Charles Street, Northampton Square, Goswell Street Road.
ABINGDON ROW, Goswell Street Road, as above.
ABINGDON STREET, Westminster, is at the end of Old Palace yard, parallel to the Thames, and leads to Millbank Street.
ABINGDON STREET, Bethnal Green Road, is near Belvedere Place.
ABINGDON STREET, LITTLE, Westminster, is a turning at No. 10, Abingdon Street, before mentioned, and leads to the Thames.
ABOUKIR PLACE, Stepney, is near Pleasant Place and Prospect Place, Stepney Green, Commercial Road.
ACADEMY COURT, Chancery Lane, is opposite Symond's Inn, and near Carey Street, Lincoln's Inn.
ACADEMY, ROYAL, OF ARTS. — [see Royal Academy of Arts]
ACADEMY, ROYAL, OF MUSIC. — [see Royal Academy of Music]
ACADEMY, PUBLIC, Homerton, is a public institution supported by a congregational fund for aiding dissenting ministers, and educating students for the ministry, at Homerton, near the church, Hackney.
ACCIDENTAL PLACE, Hackney Road, is a turning at No. 17, Bath Street, Cole Harbour Street, about three quarters of a mile on the left from Shoreditch Church.
ACCOUNTANT GENERAL'S OFFICE, Chancery Lane. — Attendance from 9 to 2, and from 4 to 7; and for the delivery of drafts, from 11 to 2.
ADAM A-DIGGING YARD, Great Peter Street, Westminster, is on the south side nearly opposite Little St. Anne's Lane.
ADAM AND EVE COURT, Oxford Street, is a turning on the north side, nearly opposite to the Pantheon, and leads into Castle Street, Oxford Market.
ADAM AND EVE COURT, Whitecross Street, St. Luke's turns off at No. 106, about the middle of the east side.
ADAM AND EVE COURT, Bishopsgate Street Without, is in Angel Alley, near Skinner Street, and received its name from the sign at its corner, before numbering was introduced by Act of Parliament.
ADAM AND EVE COURT, Duke's Place, Aldgate, is the first turning on the left in Mitre Court, Aldgate, and leads through New Court into Long Street and Bury Street, St. Mary Axe.
ADAMS' COURT, Broad Street, City, turns off on the right from Threadneedle Street at No. 12, Broad Street, nearly opposite to Throgmorton Street.
ADAMS' GARDENS or PLACE, Rotherhithe, is in Adams Street, extending from Adams Place to New Court, Rotherhithe.
ADAMS' MEWS, Upper Berkeley Street, Portman Square, leads from No. 44, Upper Berkeley Street, to Upper Seymour Street.
ADAMS' MEWS, South Audley Street, Grosvenor Square, leads from No. 36, South Audley Street, to Charles Street, Grosvenor Square.
ADAMS' PLACE, Southwark, is in High Street, turns off at No. 187, south of Union Street, and leads to Red Cross Street.
ADAMS' PLACE, Limehouse, is in Salmon's Lane, which leads from the north end of White Horse Street to the Commercial Road.
ADAMS' ROW, Hampstead Road, is the north side of the continuation of Tottenham Court Road, reaching from the north west corner of the New Road, where was formerly the Adam and Eve public house, represented in Hogarth's March to Finchley, to Henry Street, nearly opposite the New River Company's Reservoir.
ADAMS' ROW, Lambeth, is in Doughty Place, Doughty Street, between the Archbishop of Canterbury's Palace and Walcot Place, Westminster Bridge Road.
ADAMS' STREET, Portman Square, turns off on the east side of No. 7, Baker Street, and leads into Manchester Street.
ADAM'S STREET, WEST, Portman Square, is the last turning on the right at the corner of No. 31, Upper Seymour Street, and leads northward across Upper Berkeley Street and Upper George Street, to the south end of Seymour Place, Crawford Street.
ADAM STREET, Adelphi, named after Messrs. Adam, the fraternal architects, who embellished this part of the metropolis. It turns off at No. 72, on the south side of the Strand, about a quarter of a mile from Temple Bar, and leads on the fine terrace called the Adelphi.
ADAM STREET, Rotherhithe, is the second street southward parallel to the Thames, leading from No. 93, Neptune Street, on the west, to Swan Lane, on the east, near to the Thames Tunnel.
ADAM STREET, Kent Road, turns off at No 20, Harper Street, County Terrace, in the Kent Road.
ADELPHI, THE, is an assemblage of buildings, or rather a district of the metropolis, on the south side of the Strand, reaching east and west from Adam Street to Buckingham Street, bounded on the north by the Strand, and on the south by the Thames. This distinguished and beautiful portion of the metropolis was designed and executed by Messrs. John, Robert, James and William Adam, the well known architects, on the site of the ancient Durham Yard, then a district of mud and coal wharfs. On this low spot they erected a series of arches, terraces and subterranean streets and spread forth on their surface that variety of streets known by the name of "The Adelphi," as being the production of "the brothers." The various streets are designated after them, as that fine row of mansions which faces the Thames is called, by way of excellence, "the Adelphi Terrace;" and the other streets from their christian names, John Street, Robert Street, James Street and William Street, In this district is the mansion and repository of the Society for the Encouragement of Arts. [which see] Many splendid, family hotels and lodging houses, and beneath the streets, where carriages roll and pedestrians bend their careful way, is the largest assemblage of coal wharfs and warehouses on the banks of the Thames.
ADELPHI TERRACE, THE, is the before mentioned row of mansions facing the Thames, erected parallel to the Strand and the river by Messrs. Adam. The view from this terrace, beginning at Westminster Bridge on the west, crowned by the antique towers of the Abbey, and Waterloo Bridge on the east, beautifully surmounted by the majestic cupola and elegant turrets of St. Paul's, is almost unequalled for variety and architectural beauty. The central situation of this fine terrace, and its airy and healthy qualities, have always rendered it among the most desirable spots in the metropolis for a town residence.
ADELPHI THEATRE, THE, a small commodious theatre, which is opened under a licence from the Lord Chamberlain, for the performance of burlettas, ballets and pantomimes. It was originally opened by an ingenious and clever woman, a Miss Scott, who wrote, composed the music, and acted in her own pieces. It is now under the management of Messrs. Mathews and Yates, and is much patronized for the intellectuality of its dramatic pieces and the ability of its actors.
ADELPHI WHARFS, THE, the before mentioned wharfs stand under the Adelphi streets and terrace. The principal access to them is down Durham Street, at No. 65, in the Strand, under the mansion and repository of the Society of Arts.
ADJUTANT GENERAL'S OFFICE, for the dispatch of business belonging to that officer's department, is the first door on the left, going into the Park, under the archway of the building called the Horse Guards, at Whitehall It is under the management of Lieut. General Sir Herbert Taylor, G.H.C., Adjutant-general; Major-general McDonald, Deputy Adjutant-general, an assistant adjutant-general, a deputy assistant adjutant-general, a first clerk, four senior clerks, and eight junior clerks.
ADMIRALTY COLLEGE ADVOCATES' OFFICE, is in Paul's Bakehouse Court, Doctors' Commons, about six doors on the right, by the side of No. 15, on the south side of St. Paul's Churchyard, down Paul's Chain. The hours of Attendance are from nine till seven.
ADMIRALTY, THE HIGH COURT OF, this court of judicature is held in Doctors' Commons, at the second house on the left from No. 7, Great Knight Rider Street, in the street so named. It is held under the jurisdiction of the Lord High Admiral, or the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty, who take cognisance of all causes and pleas, criminal and civil, which relate to merchants and mariners. Their proceedings are guided by the principles of the civil law; but in criminal cases, as the trial of pirates, and crimes committed on the high seas, and upon large rivers below the first bridge which crosses them, the process is then conducted under a special commission from the crown, by a judge, jury and witnesses. Such trials are generally held at the Sessions house, in the Old Bailey. This court was erected in the reign of Edward III., and was originally held in Southwark. The officers of this court are the judge of the admiralty, who must be civilian, two advocates general, a counsel, a solicitor, two proctors, a registrar, and a marshal, who carries a silver oar before the judge. The present officers of this court are; Judge of the court, Right Hon. Sir Charles Robinson, D.C.L.; King's Advocate Generate Sir Herbert Jenner, D.C.L.; Admiralty ditto, James Henry Arnold, D.C.L.; Counsel to the Admiralty and Navy, Henry J. Shepherd, Esq.; Solicitor to the Admiralty and Navy, Charles Jones, Esq.; King's Proctor, Iltid Nicholl, Esq.; Admiralty ditto, William Townsend, Esq.; Registrar, Lord Arden.
ALDERMANBURY, is the continuation northward of Milk Street, Cheapside, from the corners of Cateaton Street and Lad Lane. It takes its name from having been the site of the ancient Guildhall, where the Aldermen of London held their meeting. This ancient hall is supposed to have been built by Edward the Confessor, as it was known by its present name in 1189. Stow remembers its ruins, and says it was used in his days as a carpenters shop. It has no public buildings of consequence but its church. — [see St. Mary, Aldermanbury]
ALDERMANBURY POSTERN, is a continuation northward of Aldermanbury, extending from London Wall to Fore Street. It is so named as being on the site of the ancient postern gate through London Wall.
ALDERMAN PARSONS' STAIRS. A public landing place on the north bank of the Thames, at Shadwell, named after a former owner. It is also called Lady Parsons' Stairs.
ALIEN OFFICE, 18, Crown Street, Westminster, is a few doors on the right from King Street. Its chief clerk is William Hughes, Esq.
ALIENATION OFFICE, 2, King's Bench Walk, Inner Temple, is on the east side, a few yards on the left from the south end of Mitre Court. It is one of the offices under the Lord Chancellor, where all writs of covenants and entries upon which fines are levied and recoveries suffered, are taken to have fines for alienation set and paid. It is conducted by three commissioners — George Courthorpe, Esq., Sir R. Chester, and Charles Luxmore, Esq., a receiver general, a master in Chancery, and two clerks. It is open from 9 to 1, and from 3 to 5; except during the long vacation, when it is open only on Mondays and Wednesdays, from 11 to 12.
ALLHALLOWS, Barking, the Church of, is situated at the east end of Tower Street, and the corner of Seething Lane. It receives its name as having been dedicated to all the Saints, formerly called All Hallows, and from being before the Reformation a vicarage in the gift of the Abbess and Convent of Barking, in Essex. But on the dissolution of the monasteries the advowson was given to the Archbishop of Canterbury. It escaped the fire in 1666, and is of considerable extent, being one hundred and eighty feet long, sixty seven broad and thirty five high; it has a plain bell tower, with a well proportioned turret, about eighty feet in height from the ground. This church is of considerable antiquity, as appears from the circumstance of Richard the First having founded and endowed a chapel within its walls. Its present vicar is the Rev. S. J. Knight, who was instituted in 1783.
ALLHALLOWS, Bread Street, the Church of, is situated at the corner of Bread Street and Watling Street, and takes its name from the same dedication as the last, and its situation, which is near to the ancient Bread Market of the city. It was originally a rectory of very ancient foundation, under the patronage of the Prior and Canons of Christ Church, Canterbury, but since the reformation it was conveyed to the Archbishops of Canterbury, of which see, it is one of the thirteen peculiars within the city. The old church was destroyed by the great fire in 1666 and the present edifice was erected from the designs of Sir Christopher Wren, as a church for the united parishes of St. Allhallows, Bread Street, and St. John the Evangelist, the old church of which stood at the north east corner of Friday Street and Watling Street. The body of the church is plain, with dressings of the Tuscan order. It is seventy two feet in length, thirty five in breadth and thirty in height. It is an excellent specimen of the talents of Sir Christopher Wren in substantial and useful church building. Its present rector is the Rev. G. T. Andrewes, one of the six preachers at Canterbury, who was instituted in 1819.
ALLHALLOWS, THE GREAT, the Church of, is situated at the north east corner of Allhallows Lane, on the south side of Upper Thames Street, nearly opposite the lower end of Bush Lane, Cannon Street. It derives its name from its dedication to all the saints or hallows, and its epithets, to distinguish it from an adjoining church of the same name, which was called the less. It is also in ancient books called the more, or the greater, and, ad Fœnum, in the ropery, from its vicinity to some rope walks. This church was founded by the ancestors of the Despencer family, from whom it passed to the crown, till in 1546 Henry the Eighth gave it to Thomas, Archbishop of Canterbury, in whose successors it has remained to the present day. It is a rectory, and one of the thirteen peculiars in London, belonging to the archiepiscopal see of Canterbury. After the fire of London, the parish of Allhallows the Less, originally called Allhallows, super cellarium, from being built on arched vaults or cellars, was united to Allhallows the Great, and the present church, built from the designs of Sir Christopher Wren, erected for the use of both parishes. Its present rector is the Rev. Wm. St. Andrew Vincent, a prebendary of Chichester, who was instituted in 1788.
ALMACK'S Assembly Rooms, so called after the original proprietor, and often called Willis's Rooms, after the name of the present proprietor, is an extensive building, where balls, concerts, public meetings &c. are held. It is situate on the south side of King Street, St. James's, about midway between St. James's Square and Street, opposite Duke Street. In these rooms, the meetings of the exclusive and fashionable assembly called Almacks, under the direction of a committee of ladies of the highest rank, are held; as also an ancient and fashionable society called the Caledonians, and other fashionable and respectable assemblies.
AMERICAN INDIAN CIVILIZATION SOCIETY, an institution established by the Society of Friends; was established in 1795, and has been carried on with their progressive assiduity and persevering steadiness, so as to have considerably influenced the northern tribes of American Indiana to adopt the arts of cultivation. Their meetings are held at Messrs. Darton's booksellers, in Gracechurch Street.
ANCHOR AND HOPE ALLEY, St. George's in the East, is the continuation of Red Lion Street from Wapping, a little below the church on the left, near the place formerly called Green Bank.
ANCHOR STREET, Shoreditch, or Bethnal Green, extends from the back of the Swan public house, in Shoreditch, to Club Row, and is continued by Slaughter or Sclater Street to about one sixth of the way up Brick Lane, from Church Street, Bethnal Green.
ANCHOR STREET, LITTLE, Bethnal Green, parallel to and between Anchor Street and Church Street.
ANCHOR STREET or LANE, Mile End, is on the west side of Charrington's brewery, about a quarter of a mile on the left hand side, eastward from the turnpike gate, opposite Stepney Green.
ANCHOR STREET, Stepney, is in Catherine Street, a new street in the East India Dock Road, nearly opposite Poplar Church.
St. ANDREW'S, Holborn, the Church of, stands at the north east corner of Holborn Hill and Shoe Lane, and is dedicated to St. Andrew the Apostle, who is distinguished in church history as the earliest of the apostles, and as having suffered martyrdom in Achaia. There was a church on this site as early as the year 1297, which escaped the fire of London in 1666, but ten years after, being found too ruinous for reparation, it was taken down, except the tower, in 1686, and the present church erected in its place by Sir Christopher Wren. It is one of the finest and most appropriate Protestant churches in Europe. Its exterior is plain, simple and unpretending; consisting of a basement under the galleries, with low windows which light the aisles, and an upper story of semicircular headed windows for the galleries and nave; crowned by a well proportioned cornice, blocking course and balustrade. The tower, which is the ancient one, newly faced with Portland stone ashlering in 1704, is square, and has no pretensions either to beauty or to taste; the interior is spacious, rich and beautiful, consisting of a nave and two aisles, divided in height into a ground story and galleries. It is one hundred and five feet long, sixty three feet broad and forty three feet high. — The living is a rectory worth above £600 a year. The patronage was originally in the gift of the Dean and Canons of St. Paul's, who transferred it to the Abbot and Convent of Bermondsey, who continued to be its patrons till their dissolution by Henry VIII., when that monarch granted it to Thomas, Lord Wriothesley, afterwards Earl of Southampton, from whom it descended, by marriage, to the late Duke of Montague. It is now in the patronage of the Duke of Buccleugh, and its present rector is the Rev. Gilbert Beresford, who was instituted in 1819.
ANTI SLAVERY SOCIETY, THE, is held at No. 18, Aldermanbury, and is, as its name imports, a society for the abolition of slavery. It was established in 1823, and is managed under the patronage of H.R.H. the Duke of Gloucester, Wm. Smith, Esq., M.P., Chairman; Samuel Hoare, Esq., Treasurer; Thomas Pringle, Esq., Secretary; Mr. Thomas A. Hart, Clerk; and Wm. Eddrup, of No. 51, Houndsditch, Collector; of either of whom further particulars may be had.
ASYLUM FOR THE RECOVERY OF HEALTH, is an institution founded in 1820, for the reception of persons in narrow but not indigent circumstances, who, by paying a small weekly sum, are provided with accommodations superior to those which they can obtain either at their own houses, or at public hospitals. This institution was originally held at a house on the south side of the New Road, at the north west corner of Gower Street, but it is now conducted in more extensive premises. No. 12, Lisson Grove, Mary-le-bone.
ATHENÆUM CLUB, THE, Pall Mall, is held at their mansion, No. 12, the north east corner of Pall Mall, and of the new opening opposite Waterloo Place. It is a spacious and elegant building, designed and executed by Decimus Burton, Esq. This club was instituted for the association of individuals known for their scientific or literary attainments, artists of eminence, and noblemen and gentlemen, patrons of science, literature, or the fine arts. It is governed by a Committee of Management, among whom are the Earls of Brownlow and Shaftesbury, the Bishops of Winchester and Landaff, Lord Bexley, Colonel Fitzclarence, Francis L. Chantrey, Esq., R.A., Sir George Staunton, and sixteen others of its members. Edward Magrath, Esq., is the Secretary,
ATKIN'S GARDENS, Bethnal Green Road, is on the north side of Thorold Square, about half a mile on the left from No, 65, Shoreditch.
ATLAS FIRE AND LIFE INSURANCE COMPANY. The office of this Association is at No. 92, the corner of King Street, in Cheapside, and has a handsome elevation of the Grecian Doric order, designed by Thomas Hopper, Esq., Architect, and the first Surveyor to the Company, It was Instituted in 1808, and empowered by Act of Parliament of the 54th Geo. III. It is under the superintendance of thirteen directors, of whom Sir Christopher Baynes, Bart., is President; Sir Thomas Turton, Chairman; J. D. Hume, Esq., Deputy Chairman; Henry Desborough, Secretary; and Thomas Lloyd, Esq., Surveyor.
AVERY FARM ROW, Pimlico, extends from Ebury Place, Kemp's Row, facing Ranelagh Walk to Belgrave Square, and is about two thirds of a mile from Buckingham Gate.
AVERY GREEN, Chelsea, is in Queen Street, which runs from Ranelagh Walk towards the Hospital.
AVERY ROW, Grosvenor Square or May Fair, extends from No. 3, Grosvenor Street to No. 30, Brook Street, the first west from and nearly parallel to New Bond Street.
AXE COURT, Hackney Road, is about a quarter of a mile on the left hand from Shoreditch Church, at the back of the Axe public house, and opposite the sign of the Green Gate.
BETHLEM HOSPITAL, Lambeth. This royal hospital for lunatics, is one of the five royal hospitals mentioned in the account of St. Bartholomew. It is situated in St. George's Fields, Lambeth, on a spot formerly celebrated as the Dog and Duck Tea Gardens, whence it was removed from Moorfields about fourteen years ago, having in ancient times stood on the spot now called Old Bethlem, in Bishopsgate Street.
The original building was formerly a priory founded in the year 1247, by Simon Fitzroy, of London, or, according to Stow, Simon FitzMary, Sheriff of London in the year 1247, the thirty first year of Henry III., on the east side of the Moor, near Finsbury, from which it was divided by a large and deep ditch. This priory he endowed by deed of gift, with lands not far from it, on which the street now called Old Bethlem stands. A copy of this deed may be found in the second volume of Maitland's History of London, page 796. He received from Edward III., in the fourteenth year of his reign, the grant of his licence, and protection for the brethren "Militia beatæ Maria de Bethlem", within the City of London. They were of the order of Bethlehem, or the Star, and were distinguished by a star upon their mantles. They were subject to the visitation of the Bishop of Bethlehem, who was to be entertained with his suite whenever he came to London. It does not appear whether the society was ever very numerous, but Camden says, in his third volume (Gough's Edition), page 22, that in the year 1403, it was reduced to the master only.
At the suppression of monasteries by Henry VIII., Sir John Gresham, Lord Mayor of London, petitioned for it with success; for in 1547 the King granted its lands and revenues to the corporation of London, for the reception and maintenance of lunatics. In 1549 he followed it up by granting letters patent to John Whitehead, proctor of the hospital, to solicit and receive donations within the counties of Lincoln and Cambridge, the city of London and the Isle of Ely; and at a Court of aldermen in the reign of Edward VI. it was ordered, that the precinct of Bethlem should be thenceforth united to the parish of St. Botolph Without Bishopsgate.
The number of its unfortunate patients having increased, and the ancient buildings of the priory having become much dilapidated, it was found necessary to remove it to a more spacious site, and to enlarge Its accommodations. This necessary work was begun in April 1644, and the corporation of London allotted a large piece of ground on the south side of Moorfields, on the north side of London Wall, for this purpose. The building was began and completed by voluntary contributions in 1676, at an expense of £17,000. The design is said to have been copied from the palace of the Tuilleries at Paris, and that Louis XIV. was so much offended by it, that he ordered a copy of our King's palace of St. James's to be taken for offices of a very humble kind. In 1708 Queen Anne granted the corporation a license to purchase and hold in fee, or for lives, or years, or otherwise, in trust for this hospital, any lands, &c. to the value of £2,000. a year. The increase of application, as there was no limitation, from all parts of the Kingdom, rendered a further enlargement necessary, therefore in 1733 two wings were added, which enabled the governors to maintain one hundred incurable patients. When these buildings were finished, the length of the hospital was 540 feet, and its breadth 40 feet.
This hospital being united by the charter of Edward VI. to that of Bridewell, as mentioned in the account of St. Bartholomew's Hospital, it is conducted by the same governors, being members of the corporation, and others who become so by benefactions, as will be more particularly stated in the account of Bridewell, which see. The management is confided to a committee of forty two governors, seven of whom, with the treasurer, physician, and other officers, attend every Saturday in monthly rotation for the admission of patients and other business of the hospital; and these meetings are open for the attendance of any other governor.
By the agreement and act of parliament of 1782, alluded to in the account of St. Bartholomew's Hospital, the style of this hospital was settled to be "The Mayor, Commonalty and Citizens of London, as Masters, Guardians and Governors of the House and Hospital called Bethlem, situate without and near to Bishopsgate, of the said City of London." This style is of course altered, so far as concerns its situation.
The antiquity and consequent decay of the old building in Moorfields, rendered an expensive repair, or total re-building necessary. The corporation, after due deliberation, finally determined to build a new hospital in a more proper situation; and as the leases of the Bridge House estates in St. George's Fields and Lambeth Marsh fell in at Lady Day 1810, the governors agreed with the Bridge House committee a ground plot of nearly twelve acres, fronting the High Road leading from Newington to Westminster Bridge, on part of which were the house and gardens of the notoriously infamous Dog and Duck. On a portion of this ground they have erected the new hospital, from the designs and under the superintendence of the late Mr. Lewis, their architect. Of these twelve acres, eight are occupied by the hospital, its airing grounds and kitchen garden. The other four are turned to profit other ways, as the act of parliament restrains the governors to the use of eight.
This new building is of great extent and magnificence, and much more like a palace than that which is said to have excited the jealousy of Louis le Grand. It was begun in 1812, and the patients removed into it and the old hospital pulled down in 1814. The new hospital is really a magnificent structure, consisting of a centre and two wings extending along tile principal front to the length of 580 feet. The centre, which projects from the main body, has a hexastyle portico of the Ionic order, which supports a handsome pediment. The wings also project, and are in harmonious accordance with the rest of the design, and the centre is decorated by an attic surmounted by a cupola. In the great hall under the portico are preserved the two celebrated statues of raving and melancholy madness, by Caius Cibber, that were formerly on the gate piers of the late hospital in Moorfields. The buildings and inclosures are said to have cost nearly £100,000, and are capable of accommodating some hundreds of patients. Its annual income is about £pound;18,000. For further accounts of this useful institution, forms of petition for admission, &c., the reader is referred to Highmore's Pietas Londinensis, a work often quoted in the present, and to Bowen's Historical Account of Bethlem Hospital.
The present officers of the united royal hospitals of Bethlem and Bridewell are Sir Richard Carr Glyn, Bart., Alderman, President of both; Richard Clark, Esq., Chamberlain of the City, Treasurer; the Rev. Henry Budd, M.A., Chaplain; Sir G. L. Tuthill, M.D. and Edward T. Monro, M.D., Physicians; William Lawrence, Esq., Surgeon; John Poynder, Esq., Clerk and Solicitor; Mr. Thomas Hudson, Receiver; Edward Wright, M.D., Apothecary and Superintendent of Bethlem; N. Nicholls, Steward to Bethlem; Elizabeth Forbes, Matron to Bethlem; Edward Osborne, Superintendent to Bethlem; Mary Bolland, Matron to Bridewell. The present governors, from the Court of Common Council, are, Mr. Samuel Dixon, for the ward of Tower; Thomas Farrance, Esq. Deputy, for Castle Baynard; Mr. Robert Elliot, for Langbourn; Mr. John Dyster, for Lime Street; Mr. William Peppercorne, for Broad Street; John Hamman, Esq. Deputy, for Cordwainers; Mr. John Platt, for Candlewick; Samuel Weddell, Esq. Deputy, for Aldgate; William Kerl, Esq. Deputy; for Cripplegate Within; Adam Oldham, Esq. Deputy, for Farringdon Within; Mr. Robert Obbard, for Farringdon Without; and Mr. Thomas Jarvis, for Queenhithe.
BETHLEM, OLD, Bishopsgate Street Without, is the street mentioned in the last article as having been the original site of the ancient Priory and Hospital of Bethlem. Its name is now abandoned and changed into that of Liverpool Street, which see.
BETHLEM YARD, Liverpool Street, Bishopsgate Without, is a turning at the upper end of Baker's Buildings, from No. 19, Liverpool Street.
BETHNAL GREEN, is a village, or large green, situated about a mile to the eastward of Shoreditch, and about half a mile northward of the Turnpike at Mile End, up the Cambridge New Road, formerly called the Dog Row. Bethnal Green was formerly one of the hamlets of the large parish of Stepney, from which it was separated by act of parliament of the 13th George II. The old Roman way from London led through the hamlet, where joining the military way from the west, it passed with it to Lea Ferry, at Old Ford. In this place, Bonner, the infamous Bishop of London, had his palace, and a row of houses, altered from it, is still called Bonner's Hall. The Corporation of the Trinity House have an extensive hospital for decayed seamen in the parish. — [see Trinity Hospital]
The Church built according to the provisions of that act, stands on the east side of Church Row, which extends north and south from Bethnal Green Road to Hare Street, Spitalfields, and another church built very recently by Mr. Soane, is at the south end of the green, in front of the Cambridge New Road, opposite the Dog Row. — [see St. Matthew, Bethnal Green]
The ancient mansion at the south east corner of the green, called Bethnal Green House, and used as an asylum for insane persons, is traditionally reported to have been the residence of the Blind Beggar and his Daughter, whose histories are so pathetically described in the old English ballad so named, and preserved in Bishop Percy's Reliques of Ancient English Poetry. It was however built in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, by a citizen of London, named Kirby, and is called in the writings belonging to it, Kirby Castle.
BETHNAL GREEN ROAD, is the east continuation of Church Street, going from No. 65, Shoreditch; it commences at the turnpike, and extends to the green, about half a mile in length.
BIRD'S BUILDINGS. — 1. is in Bennet's Row, St. George's Fields, about twelve houses on the south side near the east end, and on the right from Blackfriars' Road. — 2. is in High Street, Borough, at No. 172, leading to Red Cross Street by the Mint. — 3. is in Hoxton Old Town. — 4. is in Lower Street, Islington, near the green. — 5. is in Hoxton Town, about a furlong on the right from Old Street Road.
BISHOP'S COURT. — 1. is in Chancery Lane, and turns off at No. 78. It leads into Star Court and Carey Street. — 2. is in Aylesbury Street, Clerkenwell, the first turning on the left from No. 1, St. John's Street — 3. is in Old Street, St. Luke's, and is near the middle of the south side between Bunhill Row and Whitecross Street. — 4. is in Coleman Street, the second turning on the right hand, a few yards from London Wall. — 5. is in the Old Bailey, the second turning on the right from Snow Hill opposite Newgate. It leads Into Sea Coal Lane and Farringdon Street — 6. is in King's Head Court, Long Alley, Moorfields, the first turning on the right in it from Long Alley, and a few doors south from Skinner Street, Bishopsgate Without.
BLACK BOY ALLEY or LANE. — 1. is at No. 206, High Street, Poplar, about half a mile on the left from the Commercial Road, opposite the Harrow public house; it leads to England Row and Meeting House Place. — 2. is in Blackman Street, Southwark. — 3. is in Fore Street, Lambeth, near the church. — 4. is in Lower West Street, formerly Chick Lane, Smithfield, the last turning on the right before coming to Field Lane.
BLACK BULL ALLEY, Whitechapel, is about a furlong on the right up Middlesex Street, formerly Petticoat Lane, from No. 41, Aldgate High Street; or from Whitechapel about ten houses south from Wentworth Street, and leads into Goulston Street.
BLACKBURN MEWS, Grosvenor Square, are at No. 53, Upper Brook Street, the first turning on the left from Grosvenor Square.
BLACK COAT ALMS HOUSES, Little Chapel Street, Westminster, also called Farmer's Alms Houses, after the name of the founder, adjoins the western side of St. Margaret's burial ground, about a quarter of a mile from Buckingham Gate.
BLACKFRIARS BRIDGE, unites the two shores of the City of London in Middlesex, and in Surrey, from the south end of New Bridge Street, at Chatham Place, to a corresponding square on the Surrey side, called Albion Place. — [see those two places] The first proposition for building a bridge over this part of the Thames, was made in the Court of Common Council in the year 1753, when there were only two bridges over the Thames in the metropolis; namely, those called Westminster and London.
The corporation therefore procured an act of parliament in 1756, by which they were empowered to build this bridge, and to perform all other necessary acts for its accomplishment. They proposed a competition, and selected the design of Robert Mylne, Esq., a young architect, who was then pursuing his studies in Rome.
This bridge is erected on piles, the first of which was driven under one of the centre piers, on the 7th of June 1760, by the Lord Mayor, Sir Thomas Chitty, who deposited, as is usual on such occasions, a series of coins and a plate, on which was engraved a Latin inscription commemorative of the circumstances and of the public virtues of William Pitt, the first Earl of Chatham, after whom the bridge was named Pitt Bridge, and the quadrangle at its northern foot, Chatham Place. This inscription called forth a critical squib entitled "City Latin; or Critical and Political Remarks on the Latin Inscription on laying the First Stone of the intended New Bridge, at Blackfriars" which went through several editions. It was answered by "Plain English, in answer to City Latin, &c., by a Deputy." Both the pamphlets are in the library of the Corporation at Guildhall.
Blackfriars' Bridge was opened to the public in 1770, with a series of tolls, but the toll houses were burnt by the rioters in 1780. It consists of nine elliptical arches, the piers of which are decorated by Ionic columns, of various heights, and the upper part by a cornice and balustrade. The bridge is in a very dilapidated state, and must shortly undergo a very expensive repair. The custody of the bridge is at present in the committee for general purposes, under whom James Montague, Esq. is the Surveyor. For further information on this subject, the reader is referred to Britton and Pugin's Public Buildings of the Metropolis, my work of London in the 19th century, the various modern histories of London, &c.
D'ACRE'S ALMS HOUSES, Westminster. — [see Emanuel's Hospital]
D'ACRE STREET, Westminster, is about the middle of the west side of New Tothill Street, and leads into Great Chapel Street.
DAFFEY'S RENTS, Southwark, are the continuation of Glean Alley from Tooley Street.
DAGGER COURT, Cripplegate, is in Fore Street, and nearly opposite the north termination of Wood Street, Cheapside.
DAGGETT'S COURT, Finsbury, is at the north east corner, between Long Alley and Eldon Street, by Broad Street Buildings.
DAKER'S RENTS, Cripplegate, are in Whitecross Street, named after the late Mr. Deputy Daker, who built them.
DALBY TERRACE, City Road, is about a furlong from Islington, near the New River, and extends down the City Road. They are named after their first proprietor, Mr. Dalby, the inventor of the present ingenious engine for drawing beer.
DALGLEISH STREET, Commercial Road, leads from that road into Salmon Lane.
DANGLE LANE, Poplar High Street, is about a furlong on the right hand from the Commercial Road, it leads to the West India Docks.
DANISH CHURCH, Wellclose Square, is the building which occupies the centre of the square. It was erected in 1746, and is a commodious and handsome structure appropriated to the use of the Danes who reside in this neighbourhood.
DARBY STREET, Rosemary Lane, is about the sixth of a mile on the right hand from the Minories.
DARKHOUSE LANE, Lower Thames Street, is on the west side of Billingsgate Market, about sixteen houses on the right from London Bridge.
DARK ENTRY. — 1. is the second turning on the left from Aldgate. — 2. is in Lower East Smithfield, facing Butcher Row.
DARLING PLACE, Mile End, is in the New Cambridge Road, formerly the Dog Row, the third turning on the left hand from Whitechapel Turnpike.
DARLING ROW, Mile End, is the continuation of the preceding into Lisbon Street.
DARNAL'S ROW, Bermondsey, is the first turning on the left in Willow Walk, going from Page's Walk.
DARTMOUTH ROW, Westminster, is the first turning on the right hand in Dartmouth Street, going from Tothill Street, near Great George Street.
DARTMOUTH STREET, Westminster, is the first tuning on the right hand in Tothill Street from the Abbey.
DART'S ALLEY, Whitechapel, is the fourth turning on the left hand from the church.
DAVID STREET, Mary-le-bone, is the first turning on the left hand in York Place, Baker Street, going from the New Road.
DAVIES COURT, Bunhill Row, is in Chequer Square.
DAVIES MEWS, Berkeley Square, is the second turning on the left hand in Davies Street from Oxford Street.
DAVIES STREET, Berkeley Square, is at the north west corner, and extends into Oxford Street.
DAWS COURT, Shoe Lane, is about seven houses on the left hand in Gunpowder Alley, going from Shoe Lane.
DEACON COURT, Spitalfields, is the second turning on the left hand in Quaker Street, going from Wheeler Street.
DEADMAN'S PLACE, Southwark, is the second turning on the left hand in Park Street, going from the Borough Market.
DEAF AND DUMB CHILDREN OF THE POOR, ASYLUM FOR. — [see Asylum for Deaf and Dumb]
DEAL'S COURT, Spitalfields, is the first turning on the left hand in Flower and Dean Street, going from Brick Lane near Whitechapel Church.
DEAN'S BUILDINGS, Limehouse, is about a quarter of a mile on the left hand in the Commercial Road below the church.
DEAN'S BUILDINGS, Walworth, is the first turning on the left hand in Flint Street, Lock's Fields, or Walworth New Town, going from Apollo Buildings, East Street.
DEAN'S COURT. — 1. is in New Round Court, Strand, the first turning on the right hand, a few yards from the Strand. — 2. is in the Old Bailey, about the middle of the west side. — 3. is in St. Paul's Churchyard, the first turning on the right hand from Ludgate Street, and leads by the Deanery, whence it derives its name, into Doctors' Commons. — 4. is in the Kingsland Road, the second turning on the left hand, about a furlong from Shoreditch Church.
DEAN AND CHAPTER OF WESTMINSTER OFFICE, is in Bennett's Hill, Doctors' Commons.
DEAN AND CHAPTER OF St. PAUL'S REGISTER OFFICE, is in Carter Lane, hours from 9 to 8.
DEAN'S PLACE, Westminster Bridge Road forms part of the south side on the right going from the Asylum, opposite Tower Street.
DEAN STREET, Westminster, is the first turning on the left hand going from the Abbey; it leads from Tothill Street to Great Smith Street.
DEAN STREET, Soho, is situated on the west side of Soho Square, and extends from King Street to Oxford Street.
DEAN STREET, LITTLE, Soho, is four houses northward of Compton Street, and leads into Milk Alley and Wardour Street.
DEAN STREET, South Audley Street, Grosvenor Square, extends from Hill Street, Berkeley Square, into Park Lane.
DEAN STREET, Fetter Lane, is about the middle of the east side, and extends into New Street.
DEAN STREET, High Holborn, is about half a mile on the left hand from Farringdon Street.
DEAN STREET, Finsbury Square, is at the south east corner, and extends into Wilson Street, opposite Crown Street.
DEAN STREET, Shadwell, is the first street parallel to the High Street,
DEAN STREET, Southwark, is about a furlong on the right hand in Tooley Street, going from London Bridge; it leads into Canterbury Square.
DEAN'S YARD. — 1. is in Westminster, at the south west corner of the Abbey, and leads to Tothill Street. — 2. LITTLE, is the part of the last which communicates with College Street. — 3. is In Dean Street, South Audley Street, about seven houses on the left towards Park Lane. — 4. is in Old Bond Street, about a quarter of a mile on the right from Oxford Street.
DEACON'S COURT or BUILDINGS, Bermondsey, is two houses on the left hand in White's Ground, going from Crucifix Lane.
DEBTOR'S PRISON, Whitecross street. — [see; Whitecross Street Prison, and for the others, see Surrey County Gaol, King's Bench, Marshalsea, &c.]
DELAHOY STREET, Westminster, is the first turning on the right hand in Great George Street, going from King Street towards the Park.
DELAP COURT, Westminster, is in the Broadway, two houses eastward of Queen Street, near the west end of Tothill Street.
DELEGATES, COURT OF. Their office is in College Square, Doctors' Commons. This is the highest court for civil affairs, belonging to the church, to which appeals are carried from the spiritual courts, instead of to Rome, as was the case before the reformation. Lord Hardwick has, however, decided that ecclesiastical laws do not, proprio vigour, bind the laity, as may be seen in the Appendix to my treatise on the Law of Ecclesiastic Dilapidations, page xii. — [see Doctors' Commons, Arches, Court of]
DENHAM COURT, Drury Lane, is the first turning on the left hand from the new Church of St. Mary-le-Strand.
DENHAM COURT, Strand, is the last turning on the left hand in Burleigh Street.
DENHAM COURT, St. Giles's, is three houses on the right hand in Denmark Street, from High Street, Bloomsbury.
DENMARK STREET, St. Giles's is the first turning on the right hand going from Oxford Street towards Holborn.
DENMARK STREET, LITTLE, St. Giles's, is the first turning on the left hand in Denmark Street, from High Street, Bloomsbury.
DENMARK STREET, Ratcliffe Highway, is the first street parallel westward to Cannon Street.
DENNIS COURT, Strand, is the first turning on the left in Marigold Court, going from the Strand.
DENNIS or DENNETS COURT, Southwark. — [see Tennis Court]
DENNIS ROW, Somers Town, is the first turning on the left hand in Welsted Street, going from the New Road towards Chapel Path.
DENTON'S BUILDINGS, Somers Town, is in Chapel Path, and between Brill Row and Middlesex Street.
DENGELL STREET, Drury Lane, is the continuation of White Horse Yard, Stanhope Street, Drury Lane.
DERBY COURT, Piccadilly, turns off at No. 208, near St. James's Church.
DERBY STREET, May Fair, is three houses in Curzon Street, eastward of South Audley Street.
DERBY STREET, Westminster, is the second turning on the left hand in Parliament Street, going from the Horse Guards towards Westminster Bridge.
DEVEREUX COURT, Strand, is the third turning on the left from Temple Bar, going towards Charing Cross, and derives its name from the noble family of Devereux, whose mansion stood on its site.
DEVONSHIRE BUILDINGS, Finsbury, is the fourth turning on the left hand in Worship Street, going from Shoreditch.
DEVONSHIRE COURT, Southwark, is the first turning on the left hand in Sutton Street, Maze, going from New Street.
DEVONSHIRE HOUSE, Piccadilly, is near the middle of the north side of that street, and reaches from the corner of Stratton Street to that of Berkeley Street, and its gardens extend northward to those of Lansdowne House, Berkeley Square. It is built on the site of an ancient mansion of the Berkeley family, from designs by Kent, and is said to have cost £20,000. exclusive of £1,000. presented to the architect, by the third Duke of Devonshire. It is a well proportioned, noble looking house of brick, behind a spacious courtyard and wings. In this splendid mansion the present duke gave many grand entertainments to the Emperor of Russia, the King of Prussia, and the great military personages that were over in this country a few years since. His grace has also given other equally grand parties to the fashionable world, in the succeeding seasons. The old house, according to Pennant, was frequented by Waller, Denham and most of the poets and wits of the days of Charles II.
VACCINATION HOSPITAL FOR CASUAL SMALL POX, Pancras Road, Gray's Inn Lane 1746. — [see Battle Bridge]
VAIN STREET, Tooley Street, it the first turning on the left hand side of Tooley Street.
VALENTINE PLACE, Blackfriars' Road, forms part of the west side of the road opposite Bennet's Row.
VALENTINE ROW, Blackfriars' Road, is at the south end of the preceding, and leads to Webber Street.
VALENTINE ROW, Bermondsey, is in Long Lane, near Pump Court.
VALIANT SOLDIER'S ALLEY, Bermondsey Street, is on the left hand side going from Tooley Street.
VAUXHALL, is a hamlet in the parish of Lambeth, at the west end of Upper Kennington Lane, by the turnpike. It is celebrated for its gardens, where concerts, and other amusements, suppers, &c. are given in the open air.
VAUXHALL BRIDGE, crosses the Thames, a little to the westward of Vauxhall Gardens, to a newly formed road, from the Thames to Pimlico. It was originally designed by Mr. Dodd, and the first act of parliament was obtained in 1809. The bridge was began by Mr. Rennie, and the first stone was laid by Lord Dundas, as proxy for H.R.H. the Prince Regent, on the 9th of May, 1811. This was intended to have been entirely of stone, with nine arches, but the directors finding the expense to exceed their means, applied for another act in 1812, empowering them to use iron or any other material.
The works were then commenced under the directions of James Walker, Esq., F.S.A., and the first stone was laid by the late Duke of Brunswick, on the 21st of Aug. 1813, and on the 4th of June, 1816, it was opened to the public.
The width of the river at this Bridge is 900 feet, and the bridge consists of nine arches, of 78 feet span, and eight piers, each of which is 13 feet wide. The length of the bridge, clear of the abutments, is 806 feet, and the height of the centre arch is 27 feet above high water. A well engraved view of this bridge, from a drawing by Mr. T. H. Shepherd, is given in my work of London in the Nineteenth Century.
VAUXHALL PLACE, South Lambeth is the first row on the left hand side going from the turnpike.
VAUXHALL ROW, Vauxhall is the continuation of Princes Street, Lambeth.
VAUXHALL SQUARE, Vauxhall, is about a furlong on the left hand side, going from Vauxhall Turnpike.
VAUXHALL TERRACE, Vauxhall, is part of the west side of Vauxhall Walk.
VAUXHALL WALK, Lambeth, is nearly opposite Lambeth Walk.
St. VEDAST, FOSTER, the Church of, is situated on the east side of Foster Lane, Cheapside, It is dedicated to St. Vedast, Bishop of Arras, and is mentioned as early as 1308. The patronage was anciently in the Prior and Convent of Canterbury, till 1352, when it was transferred to the Archbishop of that see, in whom it has remained ever since. The old church was destroyed by the great fire of 1666, and the present edifice erected in 1697, by Sir Christopher Wren, when the parish of St. Michael-le-Quern [see that church] was united to it by act of parliament.
The patronage of the latter is in the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's, who present alternately with the Archbishop. It is one of the peculiars of the Archbishop, and is therefore in the province of Canterbury, and exempt from archidiaconal visitations. The present rector is the Rev. J. T. Walmsley, D.D., Rector of Hanwell, who was instituted by the Archbishop in 1815.
VERE STREET, Oxford Street, is opposite New Bond Street.
VERE STREET, Clare Market, is the second turning on the right hand side of the Market.
VERNON'S BUILDINGS, St. Pancras, are near the north east corner of the Small Pox Hospital.
VERNON PLACE, Bloomsbury, is at the north east corner of the square.
VERULAM BUILDINGS, Gray's Inn Lane are opposite Portpool Lane.
VETERINARY COLLEGE, THE, ROYAL, is a large handsome building, at Camden Town, St. Pancras, established in 1791, for studying the Diseases of Horses and other Cattle. Its principal officers are, E. Coleman, Esq., Professor; W. J. T. Merton, Dispenser.
VICAR GENERAL'S AND REGISTER OF THE PECULIARS OF THE DEANERIES OF THE ARCHES, LONDON, SHOREHAM AND CROYDON, THE OFFICE OF, is in Doctors' Commons, the first house on the left hand side of Bell Yard, going from Great Carter Lane. The hours of attendance are from 9 to 8, and it is under the government of James Henry Arnold, D.C.L., Vicar General; the Right Hon. Sir John Nicholl, M.P., Dean of the Peculiars; John Moore, Esq., Registrar; Charles Bedford, Deputy; George Marshall, Apparitor General of the Province of Canterbury.
VICE CHANCELLOR'S COURT, THE, is in Lincoln's Inn Old Square, the Rt. Hon. Sir Launcelot Shadwell, Vice Chancellor,
VICTUALLING OFFICE, THE, is in Somerset Place, and is under the management of commissioners, clerks and officers. The principal of which are, the Hon. G. A. C. Stapylton, Chairman; Capt. Isaac Wolley, R.N., Deputy; and four other Commissioners; M. W. Clifden, Esq., Secretary.
There are also departments at Deptford, of which Captain John Hill, R.N., is Commissioner; Portsmouth, Captain Henry Garrett, K.C.B., R.N., Resident Commissioner; Plymouth, Captain Sir James A. Gordon, R.N., Resident Commissioner; and various agent victuallers abroad.
VICTUALLING OFFICE ROW, Deptford, is about the third of a mile on the left hand side above the Commercial Dock.
VIGO LANE, Regent Street, is the first turning on the left hand from Piccadilly.
VILLIER'S COURT, Piccadilly, is a turning on the south side that leads into St. James's Street.
VILLIER'S STREET, Strand, is the fourth street on the right hand side, going from Charing Cross.
VINCENT'S COURT, Falcon Square, is two houses in Silver Street, from Wood Street.
VINCENT ROW, City Road, is a part of the left hand side.
VINCENT SQUARE, Westminster, is a new Square, named after Dr. Vincent, a late Dean of Westminster, and Master of Westminster School, in Regent Street, Vauxhall Bridge Road, near the play ground of the Westminster schoolboys.
VINCENT STREET, Bethnal Green, is behind Shoreditch Church.
VINCENT STREET, Westminster, is in the Vauxhall Bridge Road, near Vincent Square.
VINE COURT. — 1. is in Golden Lane, Barbican. — 2. is in Vineyard Gardens, Clerkenwell. — 3. is in Moor Lane, Finsbury. — 4. is in Vine Street, Spitalfields. — 5. is in Vine Street, Minories. — 6. is in Broad Street, Ratcliffe. — 7. is in Whitechapel Road. — 8. is in Vine Street, Lambeth. — 9. is in Blackman Street, Southwark. — 10. is in Tooley Street, Southwark.
VINE PASSAGE, Ratcliffe, is about the middle of the north side of Broad Street.
VINE PLACE, Spitalfields, is in Vine Street, near Little Pearl Street.
VINE STREET. — 1. is in Westminster. — 2. is in Regent Street. — 3. is in Piccadilly. — 4. is in Chandos Street, Covent Garden. — 5. is in Broad Street, Bloomsbury. — 6. is in Leather Lane, Holborn. — 7. is in Hatton Wall. — 8. is in Lamb Street, Spitalfields. — 9. is in Phoenix Street, Spitalfields. — 10. is in the Minories. — 11. is in Narrow Wall, Lambeth.
VINE YARD. — 1. is in Drury Lane. — 2. is in Tooley Street.
VINE YARD GARDENS, Clerkenwell, is the second turning on the left hand side of Bowling Green Lane, going from opposite the workhouse in Coppice Row.
VINE YARD WALK, Clerkenwell, is about ten houses on the left hand side of Coppice Row.
VINEGAR LANE, St. George's in the East, leads from Sun Tavern Fields to White Horse Place, Commercial Road.
VINEGAR YARD. — 1. is in Red Lion Street, Clerkenwell. — 2. is in Darby Street, Rosemary Lane. — 3. is in Cannon Street, Mint. — 4. is in Bermondsey Street. — 5. is in Broad Street, Bloomsbury.
VINTNERS' ALMS HOUSES, Mile End Road, are opposite Mutton Lane, and were erected after the fire of London, in lieu of those which were then destroyed in Upper Thames Street, near Garlick Hill. They were originally founded by Guy Shuldham in 1446, but have been much added to by the company.
VINTNERS' HALL, Upper Thames Street, is on the south side of that street, near Queen Street Place and the Southwark Bridge, on the site of an ancient mansion of Sir John Stody, Lord Mayor in 1357, who gave it to the company. It was then called the Manor of the Vintry; but being destroyed by the great fire of 1666, the present hall was rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren. In the court room are whole length portraits of Charles II., James II. and his Queen, George Prince of Denmark and Sir Thomas Rawlinson, Lord Mayor in 1706, and a painting, by Vandyke, of St. Martin, (the tutelary saint of the company) dividing his cloak with the beggar.
The Vintner's is the eleventh of the twelve principal livery companies of the city, and was called "The Merchant Wine-tunners of Gascoign," and was composed of the Vintinarii, who were the importers and the Tabernarii, who were the retailers of wine. They were incorporated in 1437 by letters patent of Henry VI., by the name of "The Master, Wardens and Freemen, and Commonalty of the Mystery of Vintners of the City of London." A coat of arms was granted them in 1442, by Clarencieux King at Arms. The freemen, or free Vintners, as they are called, of this Company have the privilege of retailing wine without a license.
The company has large possessions, and are trustees for many charities, the details of which are fully detailed in the published Reports of the Parliamentary Commissioners on the Endowed Charities of the City of London.
VINTRY, THE WARD OF, derives its name from a district called the Vintry, a part of the north bank of the Thames, where Vintner's hall and Queen Street Place are now built. It was situated at the south end of Three Cranes' Lane, so called, from the cranes with which the wine was landed, and was such a magnificent building that Henry Picard, who was Lord Mayor in 1356, entertained therein the Kings of England, Scotland, France, and Cyprus, with a sumptuous feast in 1363.
Vintry Ward is bounded on the north by Cordwainers' Ward; on the east by those of Walbrook and Dowgate; on the south by the river Thames, and on the west by Queenhithe Ward. Its principal Streets, are part of Upper Thames Street, College Hill, College Street, Great and Little, part of Queen Street, Great and Little St. Thomas Apostle, and Garlick Hill; and the most remarkable buildings are the parish churches of St. Michael Royal, and St. Martin Vintry, and St. James, Garlickhithe; and the hall of the Vintners, Cutlers, and Plumbers. — [see those several places and buildings]
It is divided into nine municipal precincts, and is governed by an alderman; (Henry Winchester, Esq., M.P.) a deputy, and eight other common councilmen, and the other usual ward officers.
VIRGINIA STREET, Upper East Smithfield, is in Parson's Street, near Ratcliffe Highway.
VIRGINIA STREET, Bethnal Green, is the continuation of Castle Street, behind Shoreditch Church.
VOTE OFFICE, THE, OF THE HOUSE OF COMMONS, is in Palace Yard, Westminster.